I had been storing my bedding/linens in large plastic bins with lids. These were all stacked-up doing a balancing act in a reset in the hall. All was fine until I actually needed something from one of these bins. As luck would have it, the something needed was usually in the bottom bin. So, all the bins had to be taken down from the stack. What a back breaking task! I’d had enough!
This is where it helps to have a handy husband. My husband made shelves and really good shelves at that. Built-ins fit for a queen. (I’m the queen in this fairy tale.) Next came my part. I was through with the bins. I decided to sew lined bags made of linen. These I custom made to the size of the shelves and to the size of the linens going inside them. Some have zippers and some have draw-strings. Some are rectangular, some are barrel shaped which fit large comforters well. All are labeled with the contents with hand embroidery.
Ah, it feels good for the linen closet to be organized at last! And, if we have an earthquake, I don’t have to worry about the bins toppling down.
A few weeks ago we had some unwanted house guests show up. Not one, not two, not ten, but tons of unwanted house guests. When they first decided to visit they were content to stay on the back patio. Then they decided to crawl up the side of the house. However, I had had enough when a few found a way into my house.
Who were these rude guests you may want to know? Well, I am not one hundred percent sure, but I think they were some type of weevil. At least that is what the pest control expert said when I sent them a photo of the tiny pests to be identified.
I do not like to use chemicals or pesticides to rid my home or yard of weeds or insects. Having said that, how would I get rid of these pests? We were being totally invaded and I do not like bugs in the house. Some had found their way in around the sliding door and window. Once inside, I vacuumed them up with my vacuum cleaner. However, I had to keep the vacuum out and use it multiple times throughout the day. The problem obviously had to be addressed from outside the home, but how?
The answer was salt. Yes, common table salt. I sprinkled salt around the perimeter of the house right up against the base and in all the cracks that make up the sections of concrete in the patio and sidewalk. It took a whole container of salt to spread a generous protective layer around the side of the house the bugs were trying to invade. After a few days, my guests had decided to pack up and leave.
This was a great relief to me. I did not have to sink to spreading chemicals on my property and stressing about what harm that would do to my family and environment. Also, I spent less than two dollars for an extremely effective pest control method. This can also be a preventative method of pest control. Perhaps it is time for me to reapply.